Travel Insurance FAQ

Who underwrites your travel insurance cover?

All our travel insurance policies are underwritten by Lloyd’s of London or Lloyd’s Insurance Company in Brussels.

What is an excess?

An excess on an insurance policy is the first part of any claim that an insured individual has to pay out before the policy pays towards the claim. Details of the excesses can be found in your Policy Summary.

What is the maximum number of days an annual travel insurance policy covers

Our Annual Travel Insurance Policy can be purchased to cover individual trips of either 17, 32, 45 or 90 days. Unlimited trips can be taken during the policy period up to the maximum days purchased per trip.

Are winter sport activities covered under the single-trip or annual trip policies?

No – Winter Sports cover is not covered as standard but is an optional extra on either Annual or Single Trip policies.
To learn more about Winter Sports cover Click Here.

Child Rate - Up to what age does it apply?

The child rate applies up to 17 years of age at the date of purchase of the insurance.

When does Cancellation cover start?

Cancellation Cover starts immediately after the product has been purchased and the relevant premium paid. It ends upon your departure from your Country of Residence.

Can I cancel my travel insurance policy?

There is a 14 day period of time after the date of purchase called the ‘cooling off period’, and if your trip has not started and you have not made any claims then you can cancel your policy for a full refund.

If you would like to cancel your policy after the ‘cooling off’ period, you need to give Status Global Insurance 30 days written notice. Provided You have not made a claim, a pro rata premium will be calculated and the remainder refunded subject to a minimum premium retention.

Am I insured for hazardous activities?

You are covered for a number of hazardous activities which are carried out on an occasional basis. For specific details refer to the definition of Hazardous Activities in the Policy Wording.

In regards to a family policy - what is the definition of a family?

On our Single Trip policies a family is defined as 2 adults and all dependent children (up to the age of 17) at the date of booking the travel insurance.

On our Annual Multi Trip travel insurance policies a family is defined as 2 adults and up to 2 children (up to the age of 17) at the date of booking the travel insurance. Any additional children are charged separately.

Am I covered for any pre-existing medical conditions?

We will not pay for claims arising from any pre-existing condition at the inception date of the Period of Travel. However, this exclusion will not apply if the pre-existing condition has been without the necessity of medical consultation or treatment for 24 consecutive months or 60 months in the case of heart related conditions (excluding controlled blood pressure or non inherited cholesterol) or cancer related conditions prior to the commencement date of the Period of Travel.

Is there insurance in my country of residence?

There is no cover for Section 2 Medical Expenses and Repatriation in your country of residence, but cover applies under the other sections if your trip is away from your home and at least two nights stay in pre-booked accommodation or involves a pre booked flight.

Do I have to pay my medical bills abroad?

If it is a small claim for medicines or minor treatment, you should pay the bills and submit the claim.

If your claim includes a hospital stay, you must contact the Medical Assistance Company and, in most cases, where there is a valid claim, they can arrange for hospital bills to be settled direct with the hospital.

Can I reduce my travel insurance premium if I opt out of certain cover options?

Yes – you can reduce your travel insurance premium by removing either medical expenses, repatriation and hospital benefit and/or cancellation cover and/or personal effects and baggage cover from your policy.

Can I insure my golf clubs?

Yes, under our Annual Multi Trip travel insurance policies you can take out our optional golf cover which not only covers your golf clubs for loss and damage (up to £1000 or 1500 Euros), but also covers you against loss of green fees.

What currency will my policy be in? And what currency can I pay my premium in?

Your travel insurance policy will be determined by the currency of your Country of Residence. Your premium payment will be debited to your debit/credit card in the currency of the card.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions....